Friday, April 22, 2022

My First Time Volunteering At VWEC Eduverse

 
By Marcel Mosswood

On April 6, I joined the VWEC (Virtual World Education Consortium) Campfire, at that time we were introduced to the VWEC Eduverse. This place serves as a HUB to help learners and educators to learn and build connections with others. It's a very good idea to build a place like this in Second Life because in general learners or educators who just enter Second Life with the aim of learning will have difficulty starting their exploration, so people need to guide them.

That day we also took a tour to show the various places in this area and their functions. The place I like the most is Commons, it's a place where visitors can relax with colleagues, or hold casual discussions.

The info center

In addition to tours, VWEC also opens opportunities for volunteers who work at the Info Center. On the occasion of this tour, Valibrarian Greg said that it would be good if the Info Center could provide volunteers for 24 hours because Second Life is a platform that can be accessed internationally, that's why I offered to be available at 09:00 PM. I live in a country with a timezone GMT +7 so if there are visitors who come from a country around that timezone then I can talk to them. I'm very happy to have the opportunity to volunteer here, and today April 19th is my first day at the VWEC Info Center for an hour, starting from 09:00 - 10:00 PM.

My job is to converse with visitors to help them become Second Life users for the first time, show them the learning tools they can use, show them various educational communities they can join, and show the possibilities for using Second Life in education.

The Education Resources is a place to find free educational resources



The landing point with some teleporters

The Commons, my favorite place


However, when I became a volunteer there was not a single visitor, maybe because this place is still new and has not been widely introduced, or maybe because there are no visitors from the timezone where I am. But I'm sure one day this place will function as it should and be used by visitors from all over the world. For me, VWEC is a community that is needed by educators who want to use the virtual world to reach students through technology.  

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/VWEC%20Eduverse/219/105/45

Marcel Mosswood
 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'd love to visit. Would you share the slur to go visit?

    ReplyDelete