Monday, June 29, 2020

Exhibits at the SL17B, "Conversations With A Stranger" And One Billion Rising


By Gemma Cleanslate


I have been so busy greeting I have not been out to the exhibits much yet. Today I took some time to go exploring a bit in regions  I have not been before but looked at from afar and wondered what is that I almost see?  I made it an objective to visit the big white parcel on the map that has been catching my eye in Electrify from a distance  and I am so glad I did.


This exhibit is exactly what we need in these days of real life stress that most of us are experiencing. When I arrived on the road beside the white blob on the map I found so much to interact with. The description states, “This is an interactive installation where viewers are compelled to reflect on the life of a stranger before judging them. The inspiration comes from current events, where the lack of empathy for others divides us. “

There are anonymous figures seated all over the parcel , spaced of course, surrounded by their thoughts. I sat across from one and quietly considered the words on the ground and floating up into the air to see what who this figure was... is ... Reflection on the words is right. There is so much for thought about those we know and those we don’t know. They are all different , or the same, depending on me and my reaction  . So much for thought there .  Go see. It is an amazing example of the creativity of  Fionafei,  the artist in second life,  and deep empathy.   http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SL17B%20Electrify/97/151/23


I decided to walk after my sitting in various chairs and found an exhibit from one of my favorite
events in second life in which I participate every year, One Billion Rising. OBR is held on the day of the event that takes place in almost every country to bring attention to Women. “One Billion Rising is the biggest mass action to end violence against women (cisgender, transgender, and those who hold fluid identities that are subject to gender-based violence) in human history. “

“Our installation recreates in part an exhibition at One Billion Rising in Second Life 2020 - our Hall for Heroes which celebrates just some of the women around the world who have supported and fought for women's rights in various areas.” Pick up a notecard and perhaps you will get involved in this inworld activity that is open to all.  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SL17B%20Electrify/102/221/23


Among the many fun installations at the SL17B there are meaningful thoughtful exhibits to explore. Take a pod ride and hop off at any exhibit you want to walk through .You have two more weeks. Look for gifts on these sites  too.  Near these exhibits I found a few more I want to explore not only at the event but after and perhaps introduce to you in a future article. More on exhibits when I can get to them! Get your gifts at the gift area!!!

Gemma Cleanslate

No comments:

Post a Comment