Friday, October 9, 2020

The Emerald Crystal Golf Course


By Gemma Cleanslate

 About 8 or 9 years go in Second Life, I started to learn how to play golf with my friend Alarice. Not miniature golf but full golf on a course of 18 holes. I cannot recall why we stopped, perhaps the course closed. But I let it go and never restarted. I think I liked it at the time  but did not have time to get very good at it.

 However, my friend, Bergie is an expert and has played in SL for years and offered to teach me to play again so off we went. I met her and two other friends, Beertje and Particle and our philosophy teacher Herman Bergson (also and expert, at the Emerald  Crystal Golf Course.  We picked up our clubs  and went over to figure out the playing hud at the putting green. I was terrible! It took ages for me to figure out the hud (not reading all the directions of course ) but finally got enough practice  to say “lets try the real holes” and off we went.

 The first time we played was a disaster. It took a while . At one point I got twisted around and ended up driving the ball at the wrong hole!  Practice is the  answer. The following day  I found the driving range and spent time there so that I would improve. Finally I read the manual and tips to doing well was able to get the hang of it. I played 9 holes by myself , took my time and did beautifully. The hud helps choose the trail of the ball and marking it, showing the wind, making it much easier to play better.

 After a few games I decided to buy my own clubs with the hud and a score card. I had been using the very inexpensive rental clubs. I believe these clubs that I purchases can be used at other courses too. There are many others in SL but my friends were members here so this is where they play. It is now ready for Halloween!!

The course is very well laid out with 18 holes. There are lovely greens, beautiful trees and shrubs around the course.  Water surrounds many of the greens ( it is a good thing we have a derender option in SL, it comes in handy).  There are horses grazing, deer standing not afraid of us at all and other wildlife to be seen. Halloween has arrived already!

Not only is this a golf course but the owners have a skeet shooting area and some other interesting activities. They also have events at the  19th Hole club so it is a busy region. Try it if you are looking for something different to do in Second Life. 

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Dark%20Sun%20Island/38/55/22

Gemma Cleanslate

No comments:

Post a Comment