Monday, October 6, 2014

Darkwood


By Gemma Cleanslate

The eerily beautiful Darkwood is now open at Calas Galadhon Park sims, one of my favorite places to visit especially when the seasons change. Darkwood is a very different Halloween area with many surprises as you wander through the sim. To get an overview of the region when I arrived  I took the cuddleboat ride. It not only takes you along the waterways where you can view the woods from the edge but takes off into the sky among the vultures that soar overhead. As you hover above the Pavilion and see dragons poised you experience the surreal feeling of being back in the Hobbit’s world upon which the sim is based.  

Ty Tenk & Truck Meredith, the owners of the Park sims, as usual go all out to create an atmosphere that delights the visitors who wander through. “We took a few liberties …  some could say more than a few (grin) as we usually do with a story. But hopefully you’ll find our take with it’s mix of beauty, terror and an enjoyable one.” 

Back at the entrance after my peaceful ride, I walked into the woods with trepidation and immediately was surrounded by huge spiders. As I ran from that area, I fell through the ground to an underground pool of  water filled with hands reaching up to grab me. I could see the entwined bodies, dead I think, clinging to  vines . Making my way out of that scene I found myself surrounded by trolls that looked very like Smeagol ... Smaug. 

I kept taking routes off the path marked by lamps, so it took me a while to find the Barrel Ride that took me far into the interior, and down into underground lakes populated by bats and strange creatures that looked hungry and through beautiful iridescent foliage. After I left the barrel ride, I made my way up to the ghostly Elven Ruins, and then up the winding stone steps through the rocky overhangs to the Pavilion, which is very lovely. I sat in an elven chair to rest from the climb and gazed out over the whole scene from the comfortable overlook, believing I might be in the Hobbit lands of yore. Some of the visiting avatars blended into the scenery as if they lived there. 

At the base of the steps, I stopped to wander into Elven ruins inhabited by ghosts and more bats. I stopped to rest at one of the campfire circles and listen to the sounds of the woods.  There is so much to see and experience in the Darkwoods, it may take a month to discover all the secrets. At the entrance pick up the Lamp and set your graphics to Region windlight and have a wonderful time exploring  Stop at some of    There will be events at the Pavilion during the month . You are invited to join the group. All the Calas sims are wonderful to visit. There are pumpkins throughout the sim if you can leave a donation.  Begin your journey here at the entrance near the cuddleboat ride. I may see you there as I continue to find secrets I missed.  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Breakfree/246/240/22 ( I can’t wait til Winter !)

Gemma Cleanslate

No comments:

Post a Comment